Thursday, August 2, 2007

Views from above

The best part of flying for me is looking out the window. I know how juvenile that may sound, but I’m in love with the clouds, the land and the perspective of the world at 30,000 feet. Every trip is different with Mother Nature revealing another facet of her infinite creativity.

This recent trip the clouds took me to Africa. Imagine a savanna comprised of cool, frothy egg whites, and far in the distance, clouds dotting the horizon shaped exactly like the umbrella acacia trees and all awash with just a whisper of pink.

Not sure of what an umbrella acacia tree is – find one
here:

On the way home, a completely different impression. On our decent into the city, looking out into the dark sky and seeing the Light Bright image of home.

For online Lite Bright fun – click
here.

Past trips made me open my journal and begin writing the view I was seeing.
Here is an excerpt from that entry:

“On a plane from Vegas to home. Empty flight and a full aisle to myself. Sitting watching the world through the window. It’s 5:30pm and the sun is beginning to set and it’s casting amazing light onto the desert and mountains. Initially the landscape made me think of corduroy and how I wanted to run my thumb along it’s ridges and feel the texture. Then, while flying over the Grand Canyon, it reminded me of macramé. The open weave of layers of earth in variations of colors, that pressed and tied together, make the whole. Later, the land turned into silk shantung. I wanted to feel the smooth texture of the silk with the sudden imperfection caused by a gully or roll in the earth. Now, it’s suede I see through my window. The variations of color and subtle texture. Finally velvet. I want to drag my fingers against its grain feeling the richness of the earth…and seeing a road like a small imperfection in the vastness of the fabric of the land. This would make a great exhibit. Photographs of the landscapes mounted alongside the fabrics they remind me of. Seeing the picture and then closing your eyes and touching the fabric. Great sensory stimulant.”

What do you see when you look out the window?

No comments: